I’m constantly at the cinema and somehow the novelty never wears off- I’m always checking whats coming up- I even have a cinema schedule- and since my last ‘Movies I’m Excited For’ post went down pretty well, I thought I’d share with you ten films I’m excited for this year too.
- Technically, ‘Call Me By Your Name’ came out last year, but since it wasn’t shown at my local cinema I didn’t get the chance to see it, so I’m eagerly anticipating the DVD release on March 5th. Since LGBTQ+ films don’t come up nearly as often as they should, I’m really hoping this one has done the genre justice and lives up to my expectations.
2. I’ve been excited for Downsizing since I saw the very first trailer months ago. Even though it throws me back to 1997 when Pod, Homily, Arietty and Peagreen where trying to evade the notorious Ocious P Potter, ‘Downsizing’ feels like a completely fresh, original concept, which is why I’m looking forward to it so much.
3. Similarly to Downsizing, I’m looking forward to Peter Rabbit giving me a throwback to my childhood, but with a fresh twist, this time in the form of James Corden. From A League Of Their Own to Into The Woods, I’m a big fan of the actor come presenter’s work, so I’m excited to see how he fairs in this family classic.
4. I’m not really a Disney kinda gal, but I did enjoy the live action adaptation of ‘Beauty And The Beast’ last year, which is why ‘A Wrinkle In Time’ has made it onto this list. I’m hoping it too will have its own unique blend of original story and stunning visuals and by the looks of the trailer, its not going to disappoint.
5. Speaking of Disney, ‘The Nutcracker And The Four Realms’ is due to release later this year and from what I can tell, it looks like a blend of ‘Narnia’/’Alice In Wonderland’/’Beauty And The Beast’, which, topped off with it being set on Christmas Eve, already makes for a pretty magical film.
6. As I said earlier, LGBTQ+ films are few and far between, so I was very excited to find out ‘Love, Simon’ is being released this March. Any film thats made by the same people behind ‘The Fault In Our Stars’ AND gives us scenes of people coming out as straight is already a winner in my eyes.
7. Another film I’m excited to watch is ‘Ladybird’. I can’t wait to see a female lead on the big screen, and from what I can see, it looks like a ballsy, outspoken one too. I’m expecting an indie twist on the classic coming of age genre and I hope it delivers.
8. Fifty four years after the original ‘Mary Poppins’ comes ‘Mary Poppins Returns’ and I, for one, am VERY excited. The classic is one of the only pre-ninties films I can bare to watch and I’m very excited to see what a modern take on it brings, which, when you look at the all star cast including Meryl Streep and Lin Manuel Miranda, can be nothing but good.
9. After seeing the original ‘Mamma Mia’ on stage and screen, I’m VERY excited for ‘Mamma Mia Here We Go Again’. You just can’t help but fall in love with the characters, so to find out more of their backstory will be very interesting.
10. After learning more about the law of attraction last year, and seeing people ‘speak their goals into the universe’ over new year, I’m intrigued to see how the concept is brought to life on screen in ‘Status Update’. Although the whole film seems to revolve around the classic American high school hierarchy of popular kids vs those wanting to be part of the ‘it’ group, which I’m a little too old to enjoy now, I’m still going to give it a go and hopefully it will prove me wrong with its original ‘post vibes’ concept.
I’m always adding to my to-watch list and I’d love to know which films your most excited to see this year, leave a comment and let me know! Megan x