Now I’m officially one year into adulthood and feeling older than ever, I’ve decided to make a ’21 Before 21′ list and challenge myself to pack as much into my young years as possible. Below is everything I want to experience before I get the key to the door, from life long bucket list trips to newer goals…
- The biggest and most important goal on this list is to buy my first investment property. I recently heard the saying ‘The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is now.’ and it definitely rang true with me. Although I’m happy with my blogs progress so far, I sometimes wonder how much progress I could’ve made if I’d have started it a year earlier, and I definitely don’t want to be in that position when it comes to my long term career and financial stability. I want to make sure I’m investing in my future at a young age so I’m ahead of the game.
- The next goal on my list is to do at least one sponsored blog post. To have a brand recognise my effort and want to work in collaboration with me would be amazing and I think its definitely possible if I keep putting consistent work in.
3. Every year I stalk Coachella on Instagram and stare at pictures of pretty girls in Bohemian dresses enjoying the festival in the beautiful California sun, and before I’m twenty one I want to be one of those girls. I’ve never been to a festival because, surprisingly, I’ve never fancied sitting in a cold field in Leeds drinking cans, but I’d happily go to one if it involved sitting in a valley in LA enjoying mocktails.
4. I’ll hold my hands up and admit I have a pretty horrific diet that consists of 90% bread and pasta, which is why next on this list is take a food tour of a city (preferably not an Italian one!). I really want to find a variety of foods I enjoy and I think a food tour would be perfect, since I always tend to play it safe when I’m ordering from a menu.
5. My next 21 before 21 goal is to go on a mindfulness/yoga/wellbeing retreat for a week. I want to have a full seven days completely without the internet or technology and take time to rest my mind and body. I think being in an environment where healthy meals and classes are readily available would be really beneficial for my physical and mental health and would hopefully help me implement better ways of living into my everyday life.
6. Although I visit my local cinema a LOT, I’ve never experienced the novelty of an outdoor film screening. Enjoying a warm summer evening watching a film on a London rooftop would be incredible and its definitely something I’ll be doing before I turn twenty one!
7. I was late to the game, but I recently binge watched all four seasons of ‘Peaky Blinders’ and fell in love with Tommy Shelby, so next on my list is visit the Peaky Blinders sets around the UK. §
8. Ever since I saw ‘Kinky Boots’ on my eighteenth birthday I’ve been obsessed with musicals, so I really want to go to some more before I’m twenty one, preferably ‘Everybody’s Talking About Jamie’, ‘The Book Of Mormon’ and ‘Wicked’, because theres just nothing that makes me feel fancier than a night at the theatre.
9. Next on my ’21 Before 21′ list is to visit more galleries and museums. I’d quite like this one to be a solo thing- I love the idea of spending a whole afternoon wandering around an art gallery enjoying my own company and being present in my own thoughts.
10. Number ten on this list is to go back to New York– its my absolute favourite place in the entire world and although I might not be living there by twenty one, I’d love to go back and scout out my future neighbourhood.
11. I’ve been reading Blogosphere for over a year now, and before I’m twenty one I’d love to be in it, even if its just on the Instagram photos page.
12. A longstanding dream of mine has been to skydive, so before I reach the ripe old age of twenty one I’m going to put all my fear to one side, throw myself out of a plane and enjoy the freedom and exhilaration I’ve heard the experience gives you.
13. When I left college I was lacking creativity and inspiration after having my art assessed and graded for two years, so I started a blog to give me something to put my creativity into without being judged. I love the satisfaction of starting something from scratch and seeing how big I can build it from the ground up, so in the next two years I really want to work on an another extended creatively challenging project, whether that be a book, a screenplay or a photography project- I just want to work on something just for my own personal satisfaction.
14. Just once in my life I want to eat at the top of the shard. I’m not sure I can justify £50 for one pea, celeriac puree and a ‘chicken jeux’ more often than that, but just for one night I’m going to put on my glad rags and get allll the Instagrams of the fancy food.
15. Recently I watched the masterpiece that is ‘Call Me By Your Name’ and it’s inspired me to retrace Elio and Oliver’s footsteps around Crema- mainly so I can use the Instagram location ‘Somewhere In Northern Italy’ and bag myself some cool points.
16. The next thing I really want to do before my 21st is take my first solo trip abroad, even if its just for one night. So far I’ve only ever had holidays with my family and friends and I really want to prove to myself that I can survive alone in a brand new city.
17. Until now I’ve been living it up in premier economy (which, lets be honest, only really has an extra two inches of leg room and a mini Twix half way through the flight), but at least once before I turn twenty one I want to experience what its like to travel in actual style and book myself a first class ticket. Who knows, maybe I’ll splash out and sit first class on my first solo trip!
18. I don’t want to look back at my life and regret not doing things out of fear, so although the thought of it absolutely terrifies me, next on my list is go on a hot air ballon ride. I don’t know if putting my life in the hands of a basket and giant bag of air will be thrilling or throw-up worthy, but you can’t knock it till you try it.
19. I’m not one for the great outdoors, in fact the last time I went camping was the worst night of my life, but I would like to experience a night in the middle of nowhere in a log cabin. A weekend with no social media, fresh air, campfire food and star watching sounds like absolute bliss!
20. New Year is one of my favourite occasions, but only once in my life have I ever celebrated it. Apart from that I’ve been in my pjs in bed waiting to do the countdown so I can go to sleep, so next on my list is celebrate New Year in a city.
21. Naturally, I became an avid snowboarding enthusiast for the three weeks the Winter Olympics was on- this combined with the unexpected UK snowfall and a day on the sledge-snowboard hybrid thats found a home in my garage was enough to put ‘try snowboarding’ on this list. I have been skiing before, but by the time I’d got myself on the lift, to the top of the hill and back down again I was a sweaty, stressed mess, so I’m hoping snowboarding will give me the effortless ‘edgy, adventurist’ vibe I’m going for.
So those are all the things I want to experience before twenty one, if you’ve tried any of them or think theres anything I need to add be sure to let me know in the comments! Megan x